Voter Registration

Voter Registration

To vote in Wisconsin you must first register to vote.  You can start the registration process online at My Vote WI.  You can also register in-person at your local municipal or town clerk's office, with a special registration deputy, or at the polling place on Election Day.

The Voter Registration Page  contains more detailed information about registration.

All voters must submit proof of residence with their voter registration.

To view your personal voting information and your Sample Ballot for any given election, click this link My Vote WI and choose the category of voter that pertains to you. Enter your name and birthdate, hit enter to bring up your record. On the left side of the screen is My Voter Profile, to view your sample ballot choose: What’s on my ballot?

Military and Overseas Absentee Voting

You may go to MyVote  and select Military or Permanent Overseas, to register to vote (if you are not registered) and to REQUEST AND PRINT OUT A BALLOT TO VOTE (photo id not required). Please follow the instructions to ensure that your ballot is counted.



You may apply for a WI Identification card at a DMV Customer Service Center. 

The DMV Customer Service Center for Hayward is located at 15614 Windrose Ln #340, Hayward, WI 54843

They are open Monday and Wednesday 7 AM – 5 PM.  Tel: (608) 264-7447. 

Voter Registration

Registering to Vote - You MUST provide Proof of Residence

To be eligible to register to vote you must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old, who has resided at a residential address for at least 10 consecutive days immediately preceding the election, with no present intent to move, not currently serving a sentence including probation or parole for a felony conviction, and is not otherwise disqualified from voting, is an eligible elector.

Anyone wishing to vote in the State of Wisconsin, where they are required to register, has three options to register:

1. By Mail: Download the Application for Voter Registration, complete the form and mail it into your municipal clerk’s office up to 5:00 pm on the 3rd Wednesday (20th day) before the election. Note: Proof of Residence is required for any elector, who is not a military or overseas elector, who registers by mail and has not previously voted in an election in Wisconsin. A copy must be included when submitting the registration application. If it is not included, the elector will be required to supply it before being issued a ballot.

2. In Person: Register in YOUR municipal clerk’s office up to 5:00 on the Friday before the election. Note: After the 3rd Wednesday (20th day) before the election, the elector shall present acceptable proof of residence as outlined below. You may register to vote in person, Monday – Friday, at your town, city, or village Clerk’s office.

3. At the Polling Place on Election Day: If you wish to register at your polling place you must bring a document that is proof that you live at your present location. For purposes of voter registration, the following documents constitute acceptable proof of residence if it includes: A current and complete name, including both the first and last name and; A current and complete residential address, including a numbered street address, and the name of the municipality.

Identifying documents must be valid on the day that an elector makes application for registration in order to constitute proof of residence.

Acceptable forms of identifying documents that serve as proof of residency are:

  1.  A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
  2. A current and valid Wisconsin identification card or license issued by the Department of Transportation.
  3. Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  4. An employee identification card that contains a photograph of the cardholder, but not including a business card.
  5. A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  6. A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day – except for first time voters registering by mail.
  7. A picture ID from a university, college or technical college coupled with a fee receipt containing the student’s current address.
  8. A picture ID from a university, college or technical institute coupled with an on-campus housing list provided by the university, college or technical institute to the municipal clerk prior to the election showing the current address of the student that denotes U. S. citizenship.
  9. A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the day registration is made.
  10. A bank statement.
  11. A paycheck.
  12. A check or other document issued by a unit of government.

Absentee Voter Information

State Statutes allow anyone who is unable or unwilling to go to the polls on Election Day to vote by absentee ballot. Voters no longer need to give a reason when requesting an absentee ballot. You can cast an absentee ballot in person or by mail. Please Note: If you are not already registered to vote, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to you.

Absentee Voting in Person

Clerks issue absentee ballots in person in the clerk’s office or other designated location. Start date set by Municipality, in person absentee ballots can be issued as soon as ballots are available. You will need to present your Photo ID in order to receive a ballot.

Request By Mail

Absentee ballots will be mailed to registered voters if a written request and valid photo identification is submitted. Please refer to the following link on the GAB website for more information.


Or submit a written request containing the following information:

  • Dates of Election(s)
  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Sawyer County address
  • Address to which the ballot should be mailed (if different)
  • Phone number
  • Signature

Mail the request to YOUR Town Clerk’s office. The request must be received no later than 5:00 pm on the last Thursday before Election Day in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed.

An elector may apply for an absentee ballot by facsimile or email. The faxed or emailed application must contain a signature.

Military and Overseas Absentee Voting

U.S citizens residing abroad (intent to return is uncertain) and members of the military, spouses and children are covered by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. A request can be made for a ballot by completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). FPCA’s may be obtained by eligible voters from voting assistance officers within their branch of service, from a U.S. consulate or embassy or from the Federal Voting Assistance Program of the Department of Defense. Please make sure to sign and date this form.

OR … You may go to MyVote and select Military or Permanent Overseas, to register to vote (if you are not registered) and to REQUEST AND PRINT OUT A BALLOT TO VOTE. Please follow the instructions to ensure that your ballot is counted.

Deadline for Returning a Ballot

The completed ballot must be received by the Municpal Clerk no later than 8:00 pm on the day of the election, ballots received after that day and time will not be counted.