All specifications herein set forth shall meet the minimum requirements of the following codes: Chapter 145.135, Wisconsin Statutes; Chapter NR 113.03 (50): Safety and Professionals Chapter 91 and Section 4.49 Sawyer County Zoning and Private Sewage System Ordinance.
LocationPrivies shall be located at a minimum horizontal distance of:
- 10 feet from any slab constructed accessory building (i.e., garage, shed, storage building etc.)
- 25 feet from any lot line
- 25 feet from any habitable building
- 25 feet from the edge of a 20% slope
- 50 feet from any water supply well
- 75 feet from navigable waters or watercourses
Setback distances from highways and other roads are:
- State and U.S. numbered highways - 130 feet from the center line or 66 feet form the right-of-way line, which ever is greater.
- County Trunk highways - 75 feet from the center line or 42 feet from the right-of-way line, which ever is greater.
- Town roads - 63 feet from the center line or 30 feet from the right-of-way line, which ever is greater.
- Private access easements - 30 feet from the center line.
- The privy building shall be insect and vermin proof.
- Privies should be provided with a concrete floor and risers and the interior painted or paneled.
- Privies should be provided with a suitable approach, such as concrete, gravel or cinder block.
- All windows, ventilators, and other openings should be screened with 16 mesh screening to prevent entrance of insects
- Privy doors should swing and be self-closing.
- Privy seats should be provided with hinged covers.
- The entire installation should be kept clean and sanitary. Freshly slaked lime or other equally effective disinfectants should be used at frequent intervals for odor control.
- Floors, walls, seats and urinals should be scrubbed as often as possible.
- The outer base of the privy should be banked with earth.
- For open pit privies, the bottom of the pit shall be a minimum of 3 feet above high groundwater or bedrock. A certified soil test and site evaluation is required for open pit privies. No soil test is required if a vault privy is installed. The soil test must be filed in the zoning office before permits will be issued.
- Concrete or cement block foundation walls should extend 6 inches above the ground and 12 inches below the ground to prevent the entrance of insects and vermin.
- It is suggested, but not mandatory, that the open pit privy be excavated to a 5 feet depth and the pit be provided with a wood crib lining.
- The vault privy shall have a water-tight vault and be constructed of welded steel, monolithic concrete, glass-fiber reinforced polyester or other materials approved by the Department of Commerce.
- An exterior vermin-tight access opening for cleaning of the vault shall be provided where a water-tight vault has been installed.
- Vault privies should be ventilated with a pipe of at least 4 inches in diameter which terminates at least one foot above the roof of the privy and is provided with an effective ventilating hood.
- The privy should be provided with cross ventilation equal to 2 square feet of screened opening for each seat.
- The vault privy should be cleaned/pumped out when nearly full by a licensed septic hauler.
- According to Department of Commerce 91.12 Privies 1 the storage chamber of a vault privy shall have a minimum storage capacity of 200 gallons or 1 cubic yard.
- Under Chapter 83 Wisconsin Department, Private Sewage, any building containing a water closet, wash basin, kitchen sink, shower, bathtub, laundry facility, dishwasher, or other fixture receiving domestic waste, requires connection to an approved waste disposal system.
- If a dwelling will include any type of indoor plumbing fixtures, a Sanitary Permit must be obtained prior to the issue of a Land Use Permit.
- Size restrictions, footprint shall not exceed 6 feet by 6 feet maximum, maximum height 10 feet to peak of roof.
- Privies shall not be used for storage.