Sawyer County Forestry Committee
April 7, 2010
Committee Members Present: Jim Bassett Shirley Riedmann Doug Mrotek
Dean Pearson Dale Thompson Hal Helwig
County Personnel Present: Greg Peterson Kris Mayberry
DNR Personnel Present: Nick Koltz
Others Present: Terrell Boettcher Ken Johnson Ned Zuelsdorff
Linda Zillmer John Saunders Tom Frels
Duane Amundson Jim Toftness Mike Outcalt
Jan Holmes Don Mrotek
The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. by Chair Bassett. Motion by Bassett, second by Riedmann to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Motion by Mrotek, second by Riedmann to approve the minutes of the March 8, 2010 meeting. Motion carried.
1) CAMBA - Festival of the Trails, June 4-6, 2010. Motion by Riedmann, second by Bassett to approve request with no fee waiver and providing a certificate of insurance is received. Motion carried.
2) Chequamegon 100 - May 22, 2010. Committee consensus was that since this is not an organized event with a fee charged, coordination for use of CAMBA trails should be made with John Saunders.
Peterson explained that in the Access Management Plan, the fee was left open ended. Motion by Riedmann, second by Bassett to continue with $1.00/person fee. Motion carried.
Direct sale to Futurewood Corporation
Peterson explained that trees need to be cut so one of the county recreational cabins can be removed from county property. The total value of the timber volume is $738.00. Motion by Riedmann, second by Bassett to approve direct sale to Futurewood Corporation. Motion carried.
Low Use Access Permit - Tim Pulskamp
Request for Low Use Access Permit for Tim Pulskamp. Access road is approximately 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Motion by Bassett, second by Riedmann to approve Low Use Access Permit. Motion carried.
Summary of requests for changes to Access Management Plan
1) Camp 38 Road - change from Limited Open Access to funded ATV trail to be able to move trail off town road in Bayfield County. Discussion held. Motion by Riedmann, second by Mrotek to recommend to the County Board that designation of Camp 38 Road be changed from Limited Open Access to Open Access (not a funded trail) with a document to be provided that Town of Cable, Bayfield County submit documentation that road route has been removed. The designation will not change until documentation is received. Riedmann suggested that pictures be taken of Camp 38 Road now and again in one year to see if there any changes in the condition of road. Motion carried.
2) Haystack Road-Thornapple Grade Area - Peterson had request from landowner that there be less Open Access on roads in this area. Riedmann stated that a letter stating which roads/trails needs to be sent. Action tabled until more information is received.
3) Change of language under Seasonal Closure (copy on file with minutes). Committee consensus - no sense in changing language at this point.
The committee stated that suggestions for changes, etc. to the 15 Year Plan be brought to the Forestry Committee each quarter.
Page 2 - Sawyer County Forestry Committee Minutes - April 7, 2010
Approval of stewardship grant proposal - boardwalk at Hatchery Creek Park
Peterson stated that the deadline to apply is May 1st and proposal needs committee and county board approval. The boardwalk will be 200 feet and cost approximately $4000, with a 50% cost share. The countys' cost-share will be volunteer labor. Motion by Riedmann, second by Thompson to submit a resolution to County Board for approval to apply for a stewardship grant. Motion carried.
Sawyer County Forestry Report
Peterson: 1) Timber sale bid opening is May 3, 2010. There are 24 tracts of timber being advertised for this bid opening. 2) Seasonal Closure - ATV trails 8, 31 in Seeley area and Trail 11 (9 Mile Loop) are to remain open. Trails 3, 31 and 26 in the Sissabagama area are closed. All other forest roads not designated as ATV trails will remain closed until May 15th.
3) Governor signed the bill authorizing an extension of the 2 year pilot LUV program. Peterson is waiting for more information to bring to committee and county board in May. Each county will need to pass a resolution allowing LUV's to ride on ATV trails. Townships can opt out of participation by resolution. 4) Attended WCFA meeting last month. There were some good presentations including a discussion regarding water regulations and problems that some of the counties in the northern region are having.
DNR forestry report
Koltz: Kim Lemke advised that the fire danger is high and permits are required. It is the first time ever that there was no measurable snow in the month of March.
Monthly expense vouchers
Motion by Mrotek, second by Riedmann to approve the vouchers as presented. Motion carried.
Other matters for discussion only
Monthly reports were passed out.
Riedmann - last Forestry Committee meeting to attend - stated that strides have been made in management and access on the county forest, relationships with DNR are better; and relationships between motorized and non-motorized interests are better. Forestry has a good future.
Mrotek - last Forestry Committee meeting to attend - stated that he liked this committee the best, Sawyer County has an excellent Forestry Department doing a good job, have come a long way in bringing groups together.
Bassett thanked Riedmann and Mrotek for their years of service.
Don Mrotek: Thanked Greg for going out and inspecting trails and opening trails early. The USFS is considering opening trails early, but hard to change in Federal plan.
Linda Zillmer question Don Mrotek regarding Senator Decker's visit. Mrotek stated that there is a negative public view on DNR law enforcement issues; Senator Decker suggested that a small group meet with DNR supervisors to discuss this issue. There is a landowner with property on both sides of the Tuscobia Trail that is getting fined.
Bassett and Koltz stated that the trail information on the county website is excellent.
Closed Session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) for the purpose of employee performance evaluations.
Motion by Bassett, second by Riedmann to convene in Closed Session at 10:30 AM. Motion carried. [Minutes of closed sessions are kept in a confidential file in the County Clerk's office].
Motion by Riedmann, second by Thompson to return to open session. Motion carried.
Motion by Bassett, second by Riedmann to adjourn. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 A.M.
Delores Dobilas, Recorder