Minutes of the Economic Development and Planning Committee meeting
January 6, 2010, 9:00 a.m.
Assembly Room, Sawyer County Courthouse
Committee Members –Shirley Riedmann, Warren Johnson, Arlene Mizerka,
Others Present – Sally Schrader (Indianhead Community Action Agency); Sheldon Johnson (Northwest Regional Planning Commission); Linda Clifford, Cheryl Treland, and Jim Onarheim (Hayward Area Visitor & Convention Bureau); Scott Allen and Liz Metcalf (Sawyer County Development Corporation); Bob Wick (Spider Lake Motel); Kathy Hanson (Sawyer County Record); Linda Zillmer; County Clerk Kris Mayberry
Chair Riedmann called the meeting to order at 9:00 am.
01. Meeting agenda – Motion by Mizerka, second by Johnson, to approve meeting agenda. Motion carried.
02. Minutes of the meeting of December 7, 2009 – Motion by Riedmann, second by Mizerka, to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
03. Audience recognition – None
04. Indianhead Community Action Agency (ICCA) report, including Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) housing rehabilitation project, agreements for CDBG housing rehabilitation program administrative services (including revolving loan fund administration), and designation of block grant committee – ICCA representative Sally Schrader presented a revised (pursuant to comments by Wisconsin Department of Commerce CDBG Housing Program Manager Joanna Schumann) agreement between Sawyer County and ICCA for CDBG housing rehabilitation program administrative services. Sawyer County Corporation Counsel Thomas J. Duffy is reviewing the agreement on behalf of Sawyer County. Motion by Riedmann, 2nd by Johnson, to recommend County Board approval of the agreement, contingent upon Mr. Duffy’s review and approval. Motion carried.
The Committee reviewed the list of members of the Sawyer County Community Development Block Grant Committee that served during the administration of the previous CDBG housing rehabilitation project and discussed whether to use the same committee or whether to appoint a new committee. Motion by Mizerka, 2nd by Johnson, to recommend that the County Board thank the members of the previous committee for their service, and to appoint a new committee for the current housing project with members from all parts of the County. Motion carried.
05. Northwest Regional Planning Commission (NWRPC) report, including Sawyer County Comprehensive Plan and invoice for housing loan fund administration services – NWRPC Deputy Director Sheldon Johnson presented a report and answered questions concerning the development of the Sawyer County Comprehensive Plan which is being revised following the January 4, 2010 public hearing and which will be sent to the Zoning Committee and County Board for review and approval.
Mr. Johnson presented a summary of services (final payment) relating to charges, totaling $14,221.06, for development of the Comprehensive Plan. Motion by Riedmann, 2nd by Johnson, to recommend Finance Committee approval for payment of the charges. Motion carried.
Mr. Johnson presented an invoice for final payment relating to charges, totaling $906.30, for work activities for the administration and completion of the previous CDBG housing rehabilitation project. Motion by Riedmann, 2nd by Johnson, to recommend Finance Committee approval for payment of the charges. Motion carried.
06. Sawyer County Economic Development Corporation (SCDC) report – SCDC Executive Director Scott Allen reported on SCDC’s application for a business development grant, working with an area business on an expansion project, that Sawyer County had the lowest unemployment increase of any county in Wisconsin, and a project for advertising the Hayward, Winter, and Stone Lake downtown business districts on cable television.
07. Hayward Area Visitor and Convention Bureau report, including support for municipal approval of room tax - Linda Clifford, Cheryl Treland, and Jim Onarheim (Hayward Area Visitor and Convention Bureau) presented information and answered questions concerning the proposal for adoption of additional municipal room taxes to reduce or eliminate the need for the funding provided by Sawyer County for tourism promotion and advertising. Bob Wick (Spider Lake Motel) presented information in opposition to implementing additional municipal room taxes. The Committee determined to review the information presented and to address the issue at the February meeting of the Committee.
08. 2010 Superior Days, including request for $1,000 contribution – The Committee discussed Douglas County’s request for a $1,000 contribution to help defray the costs of the 2010 Superior Days event scheduled for February 23-24, 2010 at the Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor’s Club. Motion by Mizerka, 2nd by Johnson, to recommend Finance Committee approval of the request. Motion carried.
The Committee determined to discuss having a County Board member attend the 2010 Superior Days event at the January County Board meeting.
Motion by Johnson, 2nd by Mizerka, to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried.
Minutes prepared by Sawyer County Clerk Kris Mayberry