Guidelines For obtaining Land Use Permits
  1. Obtain the complete legal description of the real estate on which you desire to build. 
  1. Check the zone district of the property. Some of the zone districts may prohibit the type of use in the building you wish to construct. If the zone district lists the use under Conditional Uses, then a different procedure is followed which requires a series of public hearings. 
  1. Check the Wetland Inventory Map. Check the Floodplain Map. 
  1. Compare the property lot size with the zone district requirements in which the parcel is located and the Lake Class Developments Standards table to determine if the parcel meets the minimum parcel size and the required setbacks can be met. Property owners must ensure that they know their property's boundaries (lot lines) prior to applying for a Land Use Permit.  A surveyor should be contacted if the location of lot lines is in doubt.
  1. To construct a new dwelling, seasonal or year round, on vacant property: 
    1. Apply for a Fire number, (911 App.)
    2. Check the zone district & check the lot size. 
    3. Check the dimensional requirements. Sawyer County has minimum floor area requirements for habitable structures. 
    4. A Certified Soil Test is required. A Wisconsin Certified Soil Tester must conduct this test and the original filed in this office.  A list of local is available under providers.
    5. Only a Wisconsin licensed Master Plumber or Master Restricted Service may install the system. 
    6. Contact a plumber to obtain the Sanitary Permit. A list of local licensed plumbers is available under providers. The Sanitary Permit must be issued before the Land Use Permit will be issued.
    1. The dwelling must meet minimum setback requirements (i.e. from roads, lot lines, private sewage systems, watercourses, wetlands, wells etc.). 
    2. Obtain and complete an Application for Land Use Permit.. Applications are available online or in our office. 
  1. To construct an addition onto an existing dwelling: 
    1. If the addition will not contain a bedroom: 

(1)If there is not a Certified Soil Test and/or Sanitary Permit on file in this office, an onsite inspection may be required to locate the existing private sewage system 

(2) If a Certified Soil test and/or Sanitary Permit is on file in this office, a copy of the Certified Soil Test and Sanitary Permit must be attached to the Application for Land Use Permit. The following information is important if this office has to locate an existing Certified Soil Test and/or Sanitary Permit: (1) soil test and/or system installation date - at a minimum the year of the test or installation (2) the soil tester's and/or installing plumber's name and (3) the name of the property owner at the time the system was installed.

B. If the dwelling, after the construction of an addition, will contain an additional bedroom and: 

(1) There is a Certified Soil Test and/or Sanitary Permit on file - an affidavit for the existing system must be provided by a Master Plumber or Master Plumber Restricted Service, a Certified Soil Tester, a Privately Owned Water Treatment System Inspector, or a septic pumper. 

(2) There is not a Certified Soil Test or Sanitary Permit on file or there are suspect soils and/or a suspect Certified Soil Test, the existing system must be inspected for size and condition by a Master Plumber or Master Plumber Restricted Service, a Certified Soil Tester, or a Privately Owned Water Treatment System Inspector and a system layout diagram must be provided to this office. In addition, a Certified Soil Test must be filed with this office based on a minimum of one boring adjacent to the existing soil absorption area. 

C. If the dwelling, after the construction of an addition, will contain more than one additional bedroom: (1) the capacity of the existing system must be increased, (2) a new system must be installed or (3) a variance for the existing system must be obtained from the Department of Safety & Professionals.

Note: Any required system inspections must be performed in accordance with Safety & Professional Chapter 83 - Private Sewage Systems, Safety & Professional 83.055 (3). 

Note: Refer to Sanitation Office Requirements for the Issue of Land Use Permits for additional information.

  1. To construct an accessory building: 

A. An accessory building/structure is defined as a garage, storage building, or a structure incidental to a principal permitted use. 

B. Accessory buildings must be built or located on the same property, parcel, or lot as the principal building or use. 

C. Permits are not issued for accessory building on property unless a dwelling exists on the property; the principal use exists on the property; or a dwelling and accessory building are to be constructed simultaneously. 

D. Garages to be attached to existing dwellings are considered accessory buildings. 

E. Accessory buildings must meet minimum setback requirements (i.e. roads, lot lines, septic systems, watercourses etc.). 

F. The location of the existing septic system must be sketched on the Application for Land Use Permit plot plan. 

  1. The Application for Land Use Permit: To complete the application, you will need the following information: 

A. Complete legal description of the property. 

B. Property owner’s name and mailing address and telephone number. This is not necessarily the address of the property.

C. Property fire number. 

D. Name and address of the builder, if other than the owner. 

E. The size (width x length), floor area & with eaves, total height to the peak and the number of stories for every structure to be listed on the application. Include all structures for which construction will commence within twelve (12) months of the issue date of the permit. second stories, lofts within dwellings. List accessory structures/attachments (e.g., garages, decks etc.) separately from the dwelling. 

F. Area of the property in square feet and the exterior dimensions (lot lines) of the property in feet. 

G. Cost of Construction including labor & materials.

H. Soil test.

I. Sanitary Permit.

J. Plot plan. Sketch or drawing of the property showing locations of road, driveway, lot lines, shoreland & wetland.

K. Use Black Ink or Pencil

L. Must be legible

M. Must be signed by the property owner or a Power of Attorney must accompany the permit.

N. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fees, please call or office for the amount.