Construct an Accessory Building
- An accessory building/structure is defined as a garage, storage building, or a structure incidental to a principal permitted use.
- Accessory buildings must be built or located on the same property, parcel, or lot as the principal building or use.
- Permits are not issued for accessory building on property unless a dwelling exists on the property; the principal use exists on the property; or a dwelling and accessory building are to be constructed simultaneously.
- Garages to be attached to existing dwellings are considered accessory buildings.
- Accessory buildings must meet minimum setback requirements (i.e. roads, lot lines, septic systems, watercourses etc.).
- The location of the existing septic system must be sketched on the Application for Land Use Permit plot plan.
The Application for Land Use Permit
To complete the application, you will need the following information:
- Complete legal description of the property
- Property owner's name and mailing address and telephone number. This is not necessarily the address of the property
- Property fire number
- Name and address of the builder, if other than the owner
- The size (width x length), floor area and with eaves, total height to the peak and the number of stories for every structure to be listed on the application. Include all structures for which construction will commence within 12 months of the issue date of the permit. second stories, lofts within dwellings. List accessory structures/attachments (e.g., garages, decks etc.) separately from the dwelling
- Area of the property in square feet and the exterior dimensions (lot lines) of the property in feet
- Cost of Construction including labor and materials
- Soil test
- Sanitary Permit
- Plot plan. Sketch or drawing of the property showing locations of road, driveway, lot lines, shoreland and wetland.
- Use Black Ink or Pencil
- Must be legible
- Must be signed by the property owner or a Power of Attorney must accompany the permit
- The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fees, please call or office for the amount